Saturday, January 4, 2014

When CartWheel Goes Bad

So I'm sitting in my car in the Target parking lot, checking FB so I could give P a few more minutes of sleeping when I see Frannie's status,

"Here's a great idea, lets go grocery shopping on a Saturday before everyone is shut in for three days because we live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. " said everyone in Madison and surrounding communities... #livinthedream"

Then it hits me...I'm the dumbest person ever. I look around me...people EVERYWHERE. What a bad time to do shopping, but I'm already there..I have to trudge on.

We get there and I head straight to the baby stuff because well, it seems P needs something every time I go to Target. It's a quiet aisle...not many people.

Then I step out by the books...chaos. Total chaos.

People stopping dead in front of other people. Kids running in and out of aisles dodging carts. People standing at a dead stop in the middle of the walkway looking at their list or on the phone or waiting for kids who are running everywhere.

Dear lord....

So far I'm fine. I calmly walked from the baby stuff to the groceries and only had to stop 3,000 times because of people running in front of me. My favorite was the teenager walking right at me but looking only down the side aisle so he didn't see me only to dodge me at the last second before he rams into my cart. Because of course he was going full speed. "There's a deep freeze coming! I MUST find the legos!!! Can't watch where I'm going!!!"

Then I get to groceries. Wow. You'd think people were going to be stuck in their houses for days or something. I can handle crowds.

I can't handle people who don't realize there is an obscene amount of people shopping around them and they seem to think they have the whole store to themselves.

This women...oh I get annoyed even thinking about her. Ever have that person who bothers you in a store and you CAN'T get away!? I swear she could teleport.

She was in EVERY aisle I was in...blocking the entire aisle with her sideways cart..and then somehow beat me to the next aisle..with her sideways cart.

At one point, she created a line. A LINE for the aisle she was in because people couldn't get past her and she was throwing can after can of some shit in her cart.

I thought I had gotten away from her..and then I turned the corner and almost ran into her cart. She was now in the main aisle of Target, with her sideways cart, yelling back at her husband. "They only had FOUR?!?!?! I need SIX!! Well I HOPE I have SOME AT HOME!!!"

Well ma'am..I hope you do too. Can you move your f'in cart so the hordes of people can get by you???

Now onto the fresh produce. I needed green peppers. They had 2. 2.

Well duh Pam. People are going to be stuck inside for 3 days less than a week after the new year. People have to buy green peppers, not chips. If only this would have happened at the end of January I would have been fine. There probably would have been 30 green peppers.

Onto my checkout. Every line had at least 4-5 people on it, with a cart that looked like they were cooking Christmas Dinner for 8.

Perfect. I picked one and crossed my fingers.

A man came behind me with 3 things. So being the great person I am...I let him go in front of me.

He didn't want to because my "time was just as valuable as his." (what a nice thing to say) but I made him. So he went in front and then turned back, "Oh...did I forget to tell you that I'm paying with a check and that usually requires 3 different forms of ID and I only have 2?"

Totally kidding. Thank god.

So I go back to shoving Parker full of kid treats when I look up and hear the cashier go, "It will crash the system. You already used your cartwheel."

5 minutes later a manager shows up and gives us all $6 coupons...the register crashed and they had to restart it....AND redo her ENTIRE order.

The guy in front of me turned back, "Forgot to tell you I'm a jinx."

Ok..I still wasn't annoyed. It was a long wait. So long. But I figured whatever coupon she just HAD to use..that she made the guy scan even though he warned her must be a high value one. Like $20 off the car seat she was buying. That's worth a system crash to me.

This whole time, all 15 minutes, P is doing awesome. Then he starts to flip at the 20 minute mark. I'm not exaggerating.

The register finally starts, the lady lets the guy in front of me with 3 things go, and then they scan her entire order again. All 4 boxes of diapers and like 15 Target bags. It's at this point that I get a glimpse of her coupon.

$1.

$1 off a 2-liter.

ONE DOLLAR!!!!!

I was totally fine with everything at Target until that moment. A dollar??? How rude do you have to be to risk a system crash on the busiest day at Target since Black Friday???

He didn't tell you that the system could crash just because he didn't want to scan your ONE DOLLAR coupon.

I would have given her a dollar from my wallet.

So moral of my story: Use your coupons BEFORE you let them scan your cartwheel. It WILL crash their system and it takes a REALLY long time for their computers to reboot.


No comments:

Post a Comment