Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Genetics

It's cool to see the different traits that Parker has gotten from each of us.

From me: A super cool squinty eye. One of our cheeks is bigger than the other, so when we smile one of our eyes pretty much closes. How much it closes depends on how big our smile is. How much it sucks? Depends on how big we smile.

Sorry kid.

From Thane: The ability to curve his tongue like a bowl. Did you know that was genetic? I can't do anything cool with my tongue.

P stuck his tongue out for the first time today..so of course I encouraged it. We spent about 5 minutes sticking our tongue out at each other. P was totally amazed.

Tonight he woke up from his 8:30 nap (so at this moment at 10:08 he is WIDE awake and laughing)and we worked on it again. Now he can stick it out and to my amazement...curl up the edges. How interesting is that?

He can also say "yes" now...when he wants to.

Last night he was about to attack the DVD tower, as usual- this kid has a weird obsession with it, when I said, "Parker, No."

Yes...I tell my child no.

He stopped in his tracks and looked at me. Turned back and reached out, "Parker, No!" Stopped...started at me...slowly turned back.

Repeat a few times before he finally stopped...looked at me...

and whispered "yes."

Thane and I both stopped and stared at him.

"Thane did he just...?"

Thane-"ya......I'm pretty sure he just said yes."

Oh boy. Talking back already?

I am well aware that I could have just gone over and redirected him to something else. In theory, ya I could have.

If you've ever had a 1 yr old who is obsessed with the DVDs, TV power button, you laptop or remote control...you understand that redirecting rarely works. It usually just makes them scream and then they go back to it at lightening speed. Besides...I want him to know "no" and the sign for it.

So here we are, stunned.

Parker looks at us, slowly turns back, and sloooowwllly puts his arm out to pull out DVD while shaking his head "no." Thane starts to laugh. and I yelled at him. (Thane, not Parker)

You can't laugh at your kid when you're trying your best to be serious. Here I am, almost choking on my laugh for God Sakes....but if I laugh while saying no...well then he thinks he is being cute. Man was he being cute.

Long story short...after already telling the long story. After the 15th time of us saying and signing "no" he looked at us, slowly sat down, and then slowly crawled away from the tower.

I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "If I crawl away real slow, maybe they won't notice that I was at the DVD tower and they will forget my love for it. I'll try later."

No kid. We won't.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment