Monday, January 21, 2013

First "F" on a Test...

So the next couple of posts are going to be about our time in the hospital. I know I have said it before, but I plan to make a book out of these blogs. I have attempted to write in a journal for Parker, but in the end...I like blogging a lot better. So if your wondering, "why the hell did she write about something so insignificant??" It's cause it was part of our experience and I don't want to forget it.

Sorry for the swear words Parker...don't repeat them.

So, as you already know, our baby burrito came at 35 weeks. On the dot.

If my water had broke 12 hours sooner, there is no doubt he would have been in the NICU. We were told that there was a 50/50 chance that he would be in the NICU or stay with us. It really depended on his vitals when they tore him from my body.

So we got the lucky end of that, and he got to stay with us. Thank god.

He passed his hearing test, with flying colors. I think? I have no idea how they even do that test. Thane was holding him and I was in a sleep/awake coma. All I remember is that I was praying, in my own way, that he passed.

The next test he had was a "car seat" test. Our nurse came and took him to the nursery for a 90 minute test to see if he could use a car seat, or if he would have to use a special car bed from the NICU.

So they wheeled him away, and we settled down for 90 minutes of uninterrupted sleep.

He was back in 15 minutes.

 He failed the test.

Apparently the tests sole purpose is to see is a premature baby is able to breath while in their car seat. Parker's neck is not strong enough to hold his head up even a little bit so he can breath. His oxygen levels were not where they were supposed to be, so they stopped the test.

My response? "Aww man Parker! You're failing tests already!? This is not setting yourself up for a lifetime of learning." ;) Ya, that's the teacher in me.

I am so thankful they do a car seat test. What a horrible surprise if they didn't do it. Oiy. So scary to even think about.

My favorite part of the test was our stupid pediatrician's response to it. (Stupid? you say..ya its a whole different post.)

Her response, "Ya, its so great that they do the test here at Meriter. I have never even heard of it until I got here. In Fort Atkinson they don't do car seat tests, so I'm not sure if it's ok for your baby to use his swing." Really?? Really?? Our nurse, who was also dumb, was the one to say that the swing should be ok because a lot of them have a recline feature. Ugh.

Speaking of a swing, we have an amazing one that Thane's sisters and aunt all went in on. It plays 5 different songs, has a mobile, a puppy ear pillow. Its great. We asked our real pediatrician if it was ok to use even if he failed the car seat test, and he gave us the ok. so we came home and decided to put him in it while we put laundry away.

Ya, he stayed in it for maaaaybe 5 minutes before I had an anxiety attack about it and took him out. I think we will wait a little bit longer so I know he is safe and his neck is ok. :)

So while I am thankful for the car seat test and the car bed, it makes taking Parker anywhere an ordeal.

He had trouble regulating his temperature, due to him being premature. Nothing too serious, but trust me...that post is coming too. So because the bed is buckled into my car already we have to take him out to it and put him in the bed in the garage...not in the warmth of our home. Same deal when we are going in or out of a building.

We have to carry him every where, and if we are outside I have him wrapped in a blanket, while I throw another one over his head. Of course we had to go out today, the coldest day so far this winter.

Here is a picture of the car bed. It's pretty cool.


Pinterest Find:

Dictionary necklaces...find a word that describes the recipient & frame it..

What a cool gift!



No comments:

Post a Comment