Friday, October 16, 2015

J's Birth Story, Part 1

This story begins on Saturday morning....at 130 am.

I woke up with contractions. I lay in bed deciding if I should wake Thane up or not.

no no...wait. Let's go back to Friday night. I freak out and make Thane help me clean the whole house because I am convinced I am going to have J that weekend. I told my coworker I probably wasn't coming in on Monday because he was coming this weekend.

So Friday night, we cleaned, packed our bags, and got some last minute things done.

Saturday morning when I woke up, I panicked.

I hadn't checked over Parker's bag yet. It was going to be 70 on Sunday and all I had packed were clothes for cooler weather.

I had 2 bills to pay that would be due on Monday.

I had to get my makeup bag together.

I had to unload the dishwasher. 

Did all that in like 20 minutes...I then proceeded to crawl back in bed after I convinced myself that I was not have real contractions.

I was in and out of bed from that moment til about 3am. Checking to see if my water broke. Thinking about what we forgot to pack. Walking the hallway. Debating if I should call my mom to come be with Parker.

At 3 my better judgement..the rational side of my mind... kicked in and I fell asleep.

P and I woke up at 8:30. Thane had gone to work.

I was helping P in the bathroom when I felt my water break.

So. Call the doctor. Call Thane. Call my mom.

I had time to take a shower because Thane had to get home first and my mom had to get to our house.

Thane got home while I was drying my hair and he came bursting in our room. He saw me and exhaled. He informed me he was convinced the entire way home that he was going to get in the house and Parker would be playing with his trucks...and I'd be having the baby on our bedroom floor. When he saw me standing. drying my hair, he could breath again. 

An hour later...

we had taken a last family of 3 picture.

had our car packed. 

we had Parker and Bernie settled in my parent's car.

we were on our way to the hospital.

I asked Thane how he didn't wake up at least one of the 800+ times I got out of bed last night. He told me it was actually the best nights sleep he has had in weeks. I couldn't help but laugh at how appropriate that was considering we wouldn't have a good night's sleep for the next.....18 years.

So we head it. Driving to the hospital to have your baby is a lot different when you aren't sobbing because it is 5 weeks too early.

We get there. Check in. Yada yada.

My nurse informs me that we need to do a test to see if my water did in fact break. "I have to stick this Q-Tip in your vagina. It will feel scratchy. I have to hold it there a minute."

My response? "Oh?? Only a minute?!"

She looked at me to see if I was being sarcastic or not...which of course I was and laughed, "Ya....its a super long awkward minute...for everyone."

My doctor was at Meriter that weekend on call so she came in to give me my results. "Good news? You can eat!!!! Bad news...no baby."

I felt like I had been punched. 

No baby? Thane had just talked me into being ok with him coming early. I was excited about finally holding him. I hadn't eaten in like 15 hours! I was ready to go.

I was so bummed and told Thane as he hugged me "I wanted a baby today."

He told me.." we still have a baby. We just can't meet him yet."

That snapped me out of it. We were lucky enough to still have a healthy baby inside me...growing and getting stronger. Not everyone has that. 

Not only did I feel like an idiot for thinking I was in labor, now how was I going to know when I WAS in labor??

It took so much to convince me this time that I was in labor, next time it would be damn near impossible for me to make myself go in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment