Monday, October 19, 2015

J's Story...Part III

I sat in a chair waiting for my call. I could have just gone up to the 4th floor, but my doctor was so adamant on making sure I called ahead so they could call ahead and Meriter would know we were coming. I decided to follow her directions...and I felt silly. What if I wasn't in labor?

The doctor called back and sounded SO annoyed that I had missed her first call. She asked my symptoms and why I thought I was in labor. She sounded skeptical that I was in labor, especially when I mentioned I had been in on Saturday. "So, you *think* your water broke? Sigh...well I guess based on what you are telling me, you might as well head in and be checked out. I will call them and tell them you are on your way."

"Um..I'm already here."

"What?! What do you mean you are already there???"

"Well, I live 40 minutes or more away from Meriter and I didn't want to head home to have you tell me to come back in. I'm in the lobby. I didn't go up yet."

"Well then." She literally snapped at me. "I guess I will call them back, since I called when you didn't answer my *first* phone call and told them about you. I will call them and tell them you will be up any minute."

I wish I had been focused enough to actually catch her name. I would have gladly complained about her. 

This was my favorite part: "You said you have a c-section scheduled for Friday?" Me: "ya." Moody Doctor: "Ok, so then would you like to have a natural birth today if you are in labor? or still stick with a C-Section??" Me: having a contraction. "No no...I want a C-Section" Her: "Really? Hmm. C-Section it is then." I don't know her exact words for that part but I remember that she spit the words out and was very unimpressed I was not going natural. 

I was NOT happy. I knew my doctor wasn't on call that night which meant that this horrible, unsupportive person was going to be cutting me open to retrieve my child. I was not looking forward to meeting her and having to talk to her after she was just so rude to me. I text Thane had his response was "Do I need to punch them in the neck!?"

Apparently he was a little on edge. 

I get up to triage and they ask for my ID. Which I then realize is still in Thane's wallet from Saturday. I explained that to her and offered to pass a test on my medical history. They didn't find that as funny as I'd hoped. She handed me some papers and asked if I remembered the way back. Sadly I did.

Luckily at this point my experience with the staff went uphill drastically. I loved every other person I came in contact with from this point on. Thank God. 

So anyways, my intake nurse, was amazing. My contractions were becoming more real. and when I say more real...I mean more painful. They started to come about every 10 minutes. 

They did the cotton swab test again to see if my water broke, but we were all pretty sure because I had stuff going on down there. 

Thane was still at home waiting for me to call him. I started to panic a bit. My contractions were getting stronger. Not closer, yet, but much stronger. When she left to take my swab to the lab I called him. I was upset when he answered and asked him to come in even though I didn't know what going on yet. I told him I was starting to get nervous and my contractions were really bad. I didn't care if it was a false alarm, I needed him to hold my hand. 

I also had this fear that if he didn't start in then, this kid was going to come before he got there. I didn't let him know this part. No need for him to worry any more. 

One of my nurses came in and looked at me, took a deep breath and "Your water didn't break?"

I stared at her...and started to cry. "Seriously?? You have got to be joking."

She nodded. She was confused too. I had another contraction and couldn't talk. I was too busy squeezing the metal bar behind my head. When it was done I looked at her and told her that I was not letting her send me home. I was not having my baby on the side of Hwy 151. 

She agreed and then decided we would check and see if I was dilated. 

Talk about awful. 

While she was checking I had another contraction. I would like to compare this experience to what I would imagine pouring salt on a werewolf bite while jabbing a nail into my stomach would feel like. For like a full 2 minutes. Ya. I think that is pretty accurate. 

Nurse, "Hmm...well you are dilated to 3....I wonder" pulls her entire arm out (maybe I'm exaggerating) "why....oh my." I stop seeing black in time to see her hand has something all over it. I assume it's blood but then she says "oh...I think this is meconium."  She notices my blank stare and explains that she thinks our baby has pooped in me. She wipes her hand on a towel and says she is going to go find a doctor. She ran out. 

This is the part where I lose it. 

Everything I have ever heard about a baby pooping inside while delivering is that it's really bad. Add this to my anxiety about my contractions being so intense already that he will come out before Thane got there. I was convinced I'd be heading to have an emergency c-section before Thane got there. I didn't want him to miss it. I didn't want to do it alone.  

I called him sobbing to find out where he was. Thank God he was by St Mary's which meant he would be with me in just a few minutes. Apparently I didn't tell him what was going on..just asked him where he was while sounding awful and then hung up. I can't imagine what I put him through :/

I called my mom, still slightly hysterical, and told her to go up and get Parker. She asked if everything was ok and I said I didn't want to talk about it...I didn't know....just go get him. 

I sat there, by myself, crying..worrying about our son. 

Finally another nurse came in, sat down, and told me no matter what we were going to have a baby tonight. I asked her if everything was ok since he pooped in me, or if that put us on a time crunch. She got me to calm down by letting me know that they let people who were having natural births go through the entire labor when this happens. We would just definitely be having him tonight. 

Our baby was safe. 

If only someone had told me that about 5 minutes sooner....

She got up to get a handheld ultra sound and asked if we were still having a C-Section. I could still choose natural if I wanted, but I let her know I still wanted a C-Section. The ultra sound was more necessary if we were doing a natural birth, but she said we may as well see where he was hanging out. 

She put it on the right side of my belly button, where his head was and has been for the past 4 weeks....and made a face. 

I looked at her, "No..he is there. He turned a few weeks ago. He is still in there!" 

She smiled and moved the end up by my ribs, "Well..he is still in there but he turned back. Your baby is breech. Guess your having a C-Section no matter what now!"



No comments:

Post a Comment