Saturday, October 24, 2015

Birth Story...Part V

I get in the operating room..and its as scary as I remember it being.  The difference this time was that I had time to build trust with my nurse and the doctor I loved were right there with me.

It is not the easiest to sit still during the medication needle while having awful contractions. My nurse was pushing on my shoulders, which I'm pretty sure she has to do to keep me straight, but it was really comforting. When she could stop on my shoulders, she held my hands so I could squeeze them. Between that and my doctor next to her telling me I was doing great and telling the anesthesiologist to stop because she could tell I was contracting...It was a way better experience than with Parker.

They didn't forget about Thane this time. As soon as my blue curtain was up, they went out and got him.  

The surgery itself went really smooth and fast. I didn't feel much. I could feel tugging..and that was gross. Well, I couldn't really *feel* it...I just knew it was happening and could feel my body moving. Very weird sensation. 

The anesthesiologist told us that J was about to come out and I made Thane watch. Which I'm sure was amazing..and disgusting at the same time. My anesthesiologist gave me a play by play. "here comes his butt....oh his feet! His belly..........his shoulders...oh his head! He is out!!"

Then I heard him cry. I cried. 

What an amazing sound. 

He was ok!

I can't believe how fast he came out and how fast the surgery really was. It seemed to move so much faster then with Parker. It did take forever to stitch me up though! That was unpleasant too. 

Thane went to help clean J up and then he brought him over to me. He was perfect. Adorable. Safe. He asked if I wanted to hold him. Of course I did, but like with Parker I had no idea how to hold him on my chest without dropping him off me. I'm laying flat and not a lot of me wasn't covered by the blue tarp. 

My nurse Tamra, steps in. "Do you want to hold him?" Me: "ya..but it's ok. I think I'd drop him." She shook her head, took him from Thane, "You're holding him" She expertly laid him on me to do skin to skin and I cried some more. It was amazing. Such a great feeling.

I could actually kinda see him too. It's hard to see your baby when he is swaddled and someone else is holding him. I say kinda because he was kinda right at my chin. Like I said, not a lot of room up there during the surgery...but it was enough. And I was so thankful. 

I loved that nurse. She was pushy..but for all the right stuff. She is really good at her job and I'm lucky she was assigned to us :) 

We got to the recovery room and watching Thane was adorable. 

This man couldn't stop staring at Jensen and smiling. Literally. I think his face must have hurt after a while because he was smiling SO much. I tried to talk him out of texting people because it was like 11:30 when he wanted to do it, but ya...that didn't work. He was too pumped up. 

I loved it. The next most amazing thing to having a baby...is to see your husband react like that to said baby.  Makes you love them even more...which I didn't think was possible. 

We ended up being in recovery for a very, very, long time.

Thane and I were just staring at J when our recovery nurse got on the phone and we hear her say, "She went in to AFib. Twice." She said some more stuff, hung up, and left. 

I looked at Thane, "Um...who went into AFib?????? She doesn't have another patient does she?" Thane just shrugged and looked as confused as I was. 

She comes back with Tamra and my doctor. They look at the screen and Dr Yanke turns to me, "How are you feeling? Any shortness of breath? Any dizziness?" 

Me, "No? I mean I am shivering but I'm assuming that's because I just had a pretty big surgery?"

Yanke nods and tells me that I went into AFib twice for about 10 minutes...or with in 10 minutes of each other..which ever one makes more sense. I'm no doctor and I was drugged up. 

Another thing I missed because of the drugs? Why Jensen's ear was folded over like he came out with cauliflower ear. Apparently he was mushed up against my uterine wall for a while and his ear got bent. It has thankfully since unfolded and looks normal again :) ...until he really does get cauliflower ear. 

So anyways, there were a few options of what was going to happen. Either I had to go to the cardio floor so they could monitor me. Thane and J could "hopefully" come with me, but they needed to monitor me for a few more hours or all night to make sure I was ok. The other two involved going to the baby floor and something else happening there. The only option I really heard was that I may not be able to spend the night with my husband and new baby. 

Thankfully, I was able to go to the baby floor and they could remotely monitor me from the 11th floor. Thank god because then I could stay with Thane and J.

My nurse was a float on the baby floor and the cardiac floor..she was the best of both worlds and she was my favorite nurse the entire stay. With that being said...Meriter nurses are *amazing*  I loved them all and they were so helpful!!

They finally took me off of the monitors a few hours later, I think, because everything appeared to be totally normal again. They had to be sure to call the 11th floor and tell them I didn't need to be monitored anymore....or they would think I died. 

Everything went great..until J's circumcision. Ugh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment