Sunday, October 25, 2015

The Final Post!!

We had been asking about every day when J would be circumcised; mainly because we were nervous about it. 

Parker, who was born 5 weeks early, had an issue when they tried to do his. Every time the doctor went to snip, he would bleed. A lot. So much that we had to have it done at the Children's Hospital. While the pediatrician was waiting for the bleeding to stop, she just left Parker strapped to the table, without a blanket on. When he came back to us I could tell his temperature had dropped big time (something we had been battling our entire stay.) They had to bring in a huge warming machine, that was broken, because skin to skin wasn't enough. Long story short...it was awful and scary.  

So with that being our history with this procedure..needless to say we were a little nervous. 

We ask on Tuesday, and they say they aren't sure..but we will know soon.

Wednesday the pediatrician flies in our room and says she is there to take him to get his procedure done....while we have 5 people visiting us and 1 on the way. 

She looked around and was like, "orr we can do it tomorrow?" I said that Thursday would work much better...and man was she annoyed. 

So Thursday rolls around and everyone is asking us if we are leaving that day...which we weren't. We had planned on staying til Friday. Got a little bit of grief for that decision. The pediatrician asked if the ob-gyn oked it....someone asked if the pediatrician oked it...our cleaning lady thought we had already left...

I turned to Thane while they had taken J and said, "Well shit, if this goes well let's just go home. Apparently everyone is shocked we are staying anyways..."

It was fine though..I was going crazy. I missed Parker. I missed Bernie. I wanted to go home. 

They brought J back and proclaimed that he did great and there were no complications! Such a relief!!

The nurse leaves and about 3 minutes later Jensen loses it. Just loses it. Cries like he hasn't cried before. He doesn't cry much :) 

We try to shh him, swaddle him better, walk around with him. Nope. Screaming. 

We figured maybe he had peed and it was irritating his procedure. Thane opens his diaper...

blood *everywhere*

all over his diaper...dripping into his diaper.

It was the most horrible thing I have ever seen. 

Of course I freak out right away. Thane, the sensible thinking one, tells me to call the nurse in while he gets him a new diaper. 

The nurse walks in and checks his diaper while Thane explains what happened. She looks at the diaper and is like, "no, that's a normal amount of blood. I wouldn't worry about it." Thane points to the diaper he had just taken off.  She looked at it...and left to get a doctor.

At this point I am a mess. Jensen is screaming. I'm scared to touch him because I don't know if we move him if it will hurt even more.

Thankfully, they came in pretty fast. The pediatrician doesn't say anything, checks his diaper, hears about the other diaper and mumbles, "I didn't think there would be a problem." 

Thank God for Thane. He is really my rock. He stepped up big time at this moment. I sat there on the bed silently crying watching all of them look over Jensen, while he stood close to hear what they were saying. I physically couldn't stand there and listen. I didn't want to hear. I just wanted them to make the bleeding stop and fix our baby. 

The ended up taking him back to the circ room. They had all the tools they needed there and much better light. I look at Thane, "Ya. We are staying tonight."

They came back and had applied some surgi-foam on his penis, which made it look like a mummy. So weird...and terrible to see. Apparently when Thane took the diaper off, it pulled off a scab that was starting to form. The foam would help protect the scab and then we had to put like half a tube of Vaseline in his diaper as to not disturb the foam when changing him. 

Our doctor told us we would be staying the night and that the nurses should be the only ones to change him until we leave. 

He wasn't screaming anymore. 

Just thinking about it now makes me cry. My poor baby. 

Every time we had a shift change the nurses would come in together and change his diaper. The old nurse wanted to make sure the nurse coming on knew about it and how to do it. So my child, because he is my child, no more than 3 minutes after they would leave...he would poop. Every. Time.

It became a joke.

Friday rolls around. Discharge day!!!!

2 doctors from the preemie floor came in to check him over. They apparently see this more than other doctors do? They looked at him for a minute or two and said they weren't worried about it at all. It would heal nicely, just make sure to keep putting Vaseline in the diaper to keep it moist. 

The pediatrician came in to check him and was surprised that the foam was still on. She told us we *had* to see our doctor on Monday. Hopefully the foam wouldn't fall off before then...and left.

Thane and I looked at each other. "Hopefully???" I may have sworn a bit. How frustrating. We had to hope the foam didn't fall off and then hopefully it wouldn't start bleed everywhere? Awesome. It was going to be a long weekend. 

We started happily packing up our house...cause that is how much stuff we brought. She came back about half an hour or an hour later. 

Since we live so far away from Madison she wanted to send us home with the necessary tools to reapply the foam if need be. Of course, I took a step back and let Thane learn. We were obviously still hoping it would stay on until we got to see our doctor, but it gave me peace of mind knowing that if it did we could fix it without a co-pay. 

(It finally came off on Tuesday, my first day home alone. Awesome timing.)

So went got to bust out of the hospital around 1. Headed to GiGi's to get cupcakes to thank Joy and Alec for watching P. Well to thank Joy. Alec we stopped and got him beer. Then we went to work to get Parker! 

We walked into his room and he was playing with his friends. He finally looked over when someone was like "Parker's mom!" He got a huge smile on his face "Baby Jensen!!!!!!" 

Ya, he was excited to see us, but not the "I haven't seen you guys in 4 days!!!" excited. More like, "Oh hey mom and dad. Glad you're here. Let's go home."

I bent down and he came running over to say hi to his brother...along with ALL his buddies. He stood there with his hand on Jensen, looking at his friends, saying his name. It was adorable. 

I had a circle of 10 two year olds crowding around me. One kid touched his head annnnnd I had enough. I passed him over my head up to Thane so I could hug on Parker. 

His posse left me and crowded around Thane. Like circled around him and moved in. Some kid kept putting his hand in Thane's pocket. The rest of them were reaching for the baby. It could have been a zombie movie. 

We finally were ready to go and headed home..as a family of 5. 

You can't forget about Bernie!





No comments:

Post a Comment