Monday, March 18, 2013

First Night Away

First off: If you plan to read this and judge me for leaving my baby overnight....just stop reading now. Thanks. :)

Thanks to our first night away I have learned two very important things:
1.) No one is Parent of the Year. Don't judge people and their parenting skills because you aren't with them and their children every day- day in and day out- you don't know what goes on in their lives.
2.) We are not 20 anymore...nor should we drink like we are. It is not fun to be a parent when you can't sit up without your head exploding...

So I am pretty sure I have said this before, but in the coming months we will have to leave burrito with my mom and dad at least once a month. Not happy about it, but you do what you have to do. Thane and I are in a wedding and between the bach parties and the wedding it means two weekends away from our baby. I did not want my first night away to be the bachelorette party. I knew I was going to have a hard time...and the bachelorette party is supposed to be a fun time celebrating the bride, not take time out of the night to console the blubbering mom.

So this weekend was my "blubbering mom" trial period. I didn't pass.

Parker had an amazing night sleep Friday night. So we didn't even get up and going until 7 Saturday morning. I fed him, packed the car, and we were off to Grandmas.

Well, wait it wasn't that easy. Thane was getting ready and I was holding Parker and it hit me that I won't be with him that night. And meltdown #1 happened. The look on Thane's face was priceless. A combo of "Really Pam?" and "Oh boy...it's going to be a long night."

Driving to Grandma's...Meltdown #2 happened.

Got to Arena....Meltdown #3. Oh boy.

Got to my mom's and after 2 hours of making sure she knew every detail about his routine and his faces, and how to get him to burp...I finally left. Thane called me on the way home and when he said, "You don't sound so good..." Meltdown #4 happened. Oiy.

Before I left, my mom told me that her and dad were betting it would take me 2 hours to call and check in. I scoffed. I'm not that mom.

It took me about an hour and 45 minutes before I got this uncontrollable urge to call and check in. I'm that mom.

I made my dish to pass for that night, and went to try and nap....and checked FB. NOT a good idea. I saw some things on there that really made me upset and question my mom skills. Was I doing the wrong thing? I had taken him to my mom's so Thane and I could go be with our friends for the night. Was that selfish? In Thane's words...."well kinda..but?" I then informed him through my tears that his response was NOT the right one. Meltdown#...what am I even on?!

Were we being selfish? Yes. But, I knew he was safe and in very loving hands. In fact, if I hadn't let my mom watch him soon...I'm pretty sure I would have woken up one weekend and she would have literally come in the middle of the night to borrow him. Not lying. So while we were being selfish, I honestly think that during my child's lifetime...I will need to be selfish once in a while as to not lose who I am. Yes I am a mom..but I am also Pam. I don't want to totally throw the old Pam away. There has a be a balance somewhere right? Usually Parker comes with when we go see our friends..but being responsible, this weekend was not a weekend for that.

It is really important to me that Parker is comfortable with other people, and staying with other people over night. So that if I can't be with him, I know he isn't upset because I'm not there. It makes it easier on everyone involved. So anyways, I learned not to judge other people's parenting skills. Everyone has a reason for what they do...there is no one way to be a perfect parent.

Moving on. We went to the party, where in my head I repeated a million times- "I am a good mom." I dont even know what time it was...or how I got there, but I all of a sudden remember looking at Erika crying..tears just rolling down my face and I couldn't stop them. I believe she said, "Oh boy guys..here we go." and all my friends circled up and did their best to console me. That's what friends are for.

My favorite part of this situation is that it left me wondering if they all had a plan of action for when I had my drunken meltdown. Cause it sure seemed like it. Love you guys.

This is so long....so fast forward to Sunday. I'm pretty sure a truck ran us over. This is when I felt like a horrible mom. All I wanted to do was go get Parker, but we literally couldn't. Seems that 8 months of being pregnant + 2 months of having a newborn = no tolerance. Lesson #2....we are not 20 anymore. We don't bounce back.

We were laid out almost all day. Thank god Parker sleeps a lot. Lesson learned....NEVER do that again. I am glad it happened though...made us wake up. I hated not being able to go get him...I won't let that happen again.

So lesson learned, and what a valuable lesson.

I am a good mom....I just gotta learn while we go. 

Trial and error. I don't think we will mess him up too much. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment