Sunday, January 25, 2015

Parker is Officially 2!

It's not official until you have the birthday party. 

Thane asked me why I cared so much about everything being perfect for the party..well duh honey, your kid only turns 2 and 13 days once! 

Parker is in love with trucks. All kinds of trucks. Anything with wheels really. So this year we did a construction themed birthday. It was awesome. 

I got most of the decorations from an ETSY seller in a download for like $12. Which was a great way to go because I could personalize a lot of them. This came in really handy at noon the day of his party when I decided that I didn't have enough signs hanging around the house. 






I got plastic hardhats, cool construction balloons and CAUTION tape from Amazon for under $20. Win!






I put the food in dump trucks, what I could at least. I tried to put the Dirt in a dump truck with no tailgate....it was almost a disaster until my sister helped me tape a plate to the back. didn't look pretty..but you gotta do what you gotta do when your vision doesn't work out. 

My favorite part was the construction site. I was just going to use a wrapping paper tupperware bin we have, but when I went to get it I realized it wasn't big enough to be what I wanted. I was scanning our basement for something I could use when I saw a spindle from our deck laying under the coffee table. Why was it there? No idea, but I'm guessing it was laying there waiting to give me inspiration. Lucky for Thane.

I ran out to the garage and got 8 of them and brought them back in for him to drill. He was a little confused and annoyed that I didn't ask him about 30 minutes earlier when he had his tools in the house. I informed him that creativity doesn't work that way.  It just comes to you..it can't be rushed. ;) So he screwed the spindles together for me and Voila! We have a construction site.

I was just going to lay a black table cloth down and put some rice down. I'm glad I didn't do that. I did however buy a 25# bag of rice that I now have no need for. So that's cool. 

I knew that bag wouldn't be enough for how big the site was, so I went to Menards to get some gravel. It was $3 a bag! So I got 2. When it came to pouring it in, I didn't think a cheap plastic table cloth would be enough, so I put some towels down first. Thank God I did because now there are holes in said table cloth. Not that we don't have gravel everywhere else in the playroom..so it really didn't save us that much mess. 


It looks so innocent. 

This morning it looked like this. 

We may have pea gravel all over our house right now...but it is worth it. P loved it. He played in it almost the entire party. Which if you have or have ever had a 2 year old, you know that if they spend more than 15 minutes doing the same activity it's a God send. 

His cake turned out perfect! It matched my Pinterest vision to a tee. :) 

Pinterest version...

My version. Thank god for Pinterest! 

I just got a cake from COSTCO and then decorated it myself. I had some small trucks, but they were kind of big. On a whim I stopped at Target Friday to see if they had anything that would fit better and of course they did! $5 for 5 or 6 CAT vehicles. Sounds good to me! 

P had a great birthday. Everyone was so generous with gifts. He got the coolest stuff. We should probably put his playroom back together so he can play with it all! Thank you everyone who came! We love you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment