Sunday, January 11, 2015

It's a Train Damnit.

So. Parker's birthday is tomorrow. He is turning 2.

TWO.

I don't really understand how we got here so fast. I'm not sure I like it.

But anyways. We aren't having a party until later this month for a few reasons, but one main one is that I want to spend the day with him. I don't want to share him with anyone but Thane. :)

We are going to go to the Children's Museum and maybe the Toy Show. Nap and Packer game allowing.

So I went to Wal-Mart and bought this:









yummy. Simple. Pisbury Dough Boy- you can't go wrong with him. It's just a simple cake because it will just be us 3 eating it. He will have a cool one for his party...I hope. 

So I turn the box over to see what I need. Thank God we actually have eggs for once. I would have been really annoyed if I had just eaten the last of them for breakfast and Thane's phone is dead so I can't call him to go get some at the gas station for like $6/dozen. (I wish I was exaggerating) #smalltownliving. So then I get to this part:

Hmm..so many options. I was just going to use a 9x13 pan, but hell...let's do a bundt pan! K..where the hell is my bundt pan? Believe it or not...I haven't used it since we moved in. So I take a guess as to which are of the kitchen it will be in and I start digging. I stuble upon my bread pans and think, "wait a minute....I should make P a train cake! He would love that!"

Then I think, "Really Pam? A train cake? You only bought one mix...and you don't make cakes like that." So off to Pinterest I went. 15 minutes later I think I found something I can make....


I mean, this kid looks pumped...P will be too! I look at the directions. I think I may be able to pull this one off...buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I only have one cake mix. So, he will just have the train! Next, you need mini loaf pans. Ya...don't have those. So Let's hope this works. 

I mix it all up, pour it in two bread pans and hope for the best. 

The glass one has way less batter in it. My idea is use that one to make the cab of the train. I may have to cut it up and stack it.

I'm getting more nervous about this looking like a train. 

At least I have the Oreos for the wheels...if I stop eating them while I type that is. 

So, it's 10:30 and I still have a cake to assemble. Thankfully I have Thane and Grace here to keep me not bitchy and I got to work. 

Now to make the train. First I did this...and I didn't like it. 

 Then I did this...and it was ok? but not quite right...


then Thane came over and turned the short piece of cake...and VOILA! Thomas was born. 

 then I realized that I probably don't have enough frosting, but I'm in luck because I do have an extra can in the pantry. It's from Valentines day, but I was crossing my fingers it wasn't pink. 





Awesome. 

Then I realized I could just use the pink to put the pieces together and you would never see it. I'm a friggin genius. 

So I made some blue for Thomas and got to creating......





I'd say it's pretty close!!


I think he even knew who it was supposed to be!! He gasped when he saw it :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment