Sunday, August 24, 2014

Temper Tantrums

are ridiculous. 

What happened to my sweet little boy? He has been replaced with a ticking time bomb. 

Thane brought him in our room yesterday after his marathon nap and he had the biggest smile on his face. The first 10 minutes after his naps or sleeping are my favorite. He is my sweet baby again. Full of smiles and giggles. 

Then after 10 minutes....game on. 

The Terrible Twos have hit the Sutter Household. How nice that my in-laws get to experience it with us. (Sorry guys)

My favorite examples: 

Sigh,"Thane...what was that one about?"
T- "He was mad that there wasn't any more dreamsicle left...because he ate it all."

Or, he was walking upstairs and passed a gigantic flower vase full of fake flowers that he never pays attention to. Well, this day he decided he wanted to swat at it, because hey...it looks like fun. Well, it fell over and then so did Parker. Screaming, kicking, crying. 

We were at a friend's birthday party yesterday, and their son got the coolest Planes riding car. It has lights that go on the propellers and everything. P loved it so much he was pushing it around the room and sitting on top of the box so he could pretend he was riding it. I was dreading cake. I would have to take P off the plane in front of 20 people I didn't know and then deal with the screaming that ensued. 

I prepped him. "Ok Parker, we have to go upstairs for cupcakes soon." "Ok P, we have to go upstairs to eat a CUPCAKE! You love cupcakes!" Then it was D Day....time for cake. I picked him up....and shit hit the fan. Screaming, thrashing his body around in my arms, kicking his feet (I put a stop to that one right away). Then we got to the stairs and his body went limp, I guess he thought I'd put him down then? I don't know. so now I have a noodle for a kid, a screaming noodle. Luckily, only the people downstairs got to witness my child at his finest, upstairs I got him to calm down and sing to his friend. 

We had another birthday party last night. I give him one of those Gerber pouches to hold him over for a few minutes before we get food. Well, apparently he forgot how to use it and he just walked around with it open. which means that any second he would squirt it on someone. So I took it from him and tried to show him how to eat it. Whats he do?

Does a lap around the room giving me the stink eye. No joke. 

This kid came back up to me with the the best grumpy cat face I have ever seen him do. Then what? Lays on the ground to throw a silent temper tantrum. (at least it was silent?)

The couple we were talking to don't have kids...so I was mortified. Luckily she was like, "Well hey! At least he isn't screaming!" 

Now that I am thinking about it, this whole throw myself on the floor....but gently lay my head down.....such an act. Well, the silent ones I mean. The ones where he screams? That shit is real.  He probably things to himself. "Hmm...I am actually really tired, but I really want to keep playing. What if I pretend to throw a tantrum, I bet I will get my way then. They will totally let me never go to bed." or "hmm...I bet that my friend at school would get upset about this. I think I'll gently lay myself down and kick my feet and see what happens." Those are the best, because he looks at you to see your reaction...and then usually ends up laughing when we tickle him. 

I posted about the terrible twos on Facebook and this is my favorite response, "And the 4's-5's, when their strong enough to stand screaming in front of the shopping cart at walmart because you won't buy them everything they want and you can't just run them over, because they're your beloved offspring forcing you to abandon your cart, toss said offspring over your shoulder and carry that kicking and screaming offspring through the store. Ahhhh yes. Good news is, if you don't give in, and they don't get their way, or the attention they're looking for the tantrums will be few and far between. Hang in there mama."  - Craig

I underlined my favorite part. I'm sure that runs through every parent's head. "What if..."


and then these two, "They stop? News to me" and "Not sure if my kids are out of their terrible twos." Sigh.....

and for the record. We will not be giving in when his tantrums are about real things. I once saw a women at Walgreens who had a cart FULL. Overflowing even. Her 2 kids were with her and one was just losing it. The mom calmly asked them to stop a few times, while still shopping. Finally, she took her child's hand and the other one followed and they left the store. I heard her say she would come back later to shop, they had to go home if she was going to act like that. I wanted to clap. I mean, sucks for the Walgreens people, but what a parenting win. 

I am going to start writing down all his temper tantrums...I think it would make a great blog. Stay tuned for that one. 


This shirt is amazing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment