Monday, August 25, 2014

Rain Storm or Hurricane?

I learned this morning that a torrential rain downpour is a lot more badass at the Sutter Farm. 

So here was the start to my day. 

6:50- look out window and think, "Shit, it looks really bad out. I hope it holds off."

6:52- Walk past patio door on the way to get Parker, "Hmm...those clouds appear to be death like...maybe I should bring in some toys." I open the door and walk into eeriness. Yes, walked into it. It was crazy outside. SO windy, so sticky, wet but no rain, thunder and lightning in the clouds. Scary shit. Of course I grab my phone. If I had more time I would have grabbed my real camera. I currently have no idea where I put it though.

6:57- Thane texts me, "It looks pretty bad out, be careful."

6:57:37- I am holding my sleeping angel, cause you can't throw a tantrum while sleeping..so he was being an angel, and I thought, "Sigh..who cares if I'm wasting valuable time against the storm. I'm pretty happy here."

7:07- I reluctantly wake P all the way up and start to get him dressed. We just may make it out the door before the rain. 

7:16- T-Minus 4 minutes to leave......downpour. Hurricane style. 

So here I am, with a toddler and an arm full of things to get in my car, and its a hurricane outside. I open the garage door and pray to God my father-in-law took his truck this morning. Open the door....empty spot!! Jackpot!!! 

Open the garage door......truck. Shit. 

So I decided if I could just get my car kinda close, that would be good enough...and do it fast enough that Parker wouldn't escape outside. I grabbed a towel, put Parker on his Lightning McQueen car, and ran out the door. Stepped into the rain...towel went flying off me and in 1 second I'm totally soaked. Make it to my car, jump in, turn on the wipers and still can't see. 

I pulled up the car and jump out, towel still didn't work, just in time to see Parker throw open the door and look at me. He was about to come running out when the loudest crack of thunder I have ever heard hit. We both jumped but only one of us screamed. I won't say which one. 

I scoop him up, look outside, and call work to say I'm going to be late. There is no way I'm taking my son out in that if I can help it. Not safe.

I then assess the car situation and decide I can squeeze it all the way in the garage. So I quickly shut P back inside and run back out into the raid. (This experience has made me really really happy we didn't buy the house with no garage.) Ok, now I get Parker in and we are off. 

Driving in the country with this kind of storm..insane. So many divots in the road you didn't realize were there until they are full of water. So many gravel driveways washed out. 

Fast-forward like 45 minutes into my normal 25 minute drive....we are at work and I find the most amazing parking spot ever. EVER.  Now I needed to formulate a plan on how to get us inside without ending up like drowned rats. 

I crawl in the backseat, get him unbuckled and standing next to me, turn and gather my bags and umbrella, turn back to grab P......aaaaaaaaaaaaand he is back in his carseat jumping around just loving life. 

Start over. Put down the bags, get him out and standing next to me so I could scoop him up, gather bags, turn to scoop and he is back in his carseat.

ok.....round 3. repeat everything. Everything......back in his seat. I then calmly said "GET OUT OF YOUR CARSEAT!!!!!!"  and scooped him with one arm.. and meltdown number one of the day ensued. He screamed like I just popped his balloon. (This kid loves balloons.) 

Then I just laughed. 

Really? What a great Monday. 

So then, I kept my arm around him, grabbed all my crap, threw a blanket on him, opened the door, put up my totally broken umbrella and we walked in the rain. 

He was so amazed by the water running off said broken umbrella I didn't even care I was getting wet, or that I stepped in a huge puddle with my flip flop and splashed so much water on my shorts that it appeared I peed myself.

 Nope, my kid was laughing...I was fine. 

The rest of my day? Well it sucked. 

Did I mention I pretty much dressed my kid in a dress today? Ugh..sorry buddy. Don't worry, your shirt tomorrow has a shark on it. Sharks are really manly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment