Monday, May 20, 2013

Ugh.

I probably shouldn't publicly complain about this...I may be struck by lightening...but whatever. It's on my mind...so I shall.

We are trying to plan a date for P's baptism. A date.

Simple right?

Nope.

My old church, where Thane and I got married, is where I would like him to be baptised. We don't officially belong to a church and it would mean a lot to me if P got his first sacrament in the church that performed the sacrament that helped him be created.

Ok...well let's be real. He wasn't created because of the sacrament..we all know where babies come from. Move on.

Well, said church only does it the 3rd weekend of the month. K, well that doesn't work for us so I assumed they would be flexible. I wanted it during the mass, so it would add what? an extra 10 minutes to mass.

Nope. Can't do one weekend because of a missionary coming, and the other weekend is my hometown's weekend festival. Understandable why they may be hesitant to do it then, but really? And I could probably call the sister back and persuade her to have it when the missionary is in town...but I don't think I will.

I think what I am most annoyed with is the fact that at the end of the voicemail she said, "And we need to discuss you becoming a member of the church."

Really?? Let's get real here for a second. That church is 45ish minutes away from where we live. There is no way we are getting there every weekend. Can you just say what you mean? "We need to discuss how much money you are willing to give us."

I am so frustrated because when we got married, we had to "join" the church. We "joined" in like June or something, but my mom didn't slip in a $5 bill until about October with our names on it.

Crazy how in the next bulletin Thane and I were welcomed into the church.

The weekend after we gave them money.

I feel like it is always about the money. And I guess it is like that with anything, and maybe it is even like that in all religions. So maybe I shouldn't be annoyed? but I am.

And maybe its just this church? Who knows..maybe another one would be better and fit my needs and beliefs better.

So bottom line. I think we are going to suck it up and join the church in town. Whatever I may think of the current priest...we will have to deal with him eventually. Might as well start now.

Disclaimer: Please don't try to get me to come to your church. I, no matter how much I complain, will always be Catholic. It is how I was raised..it is all I know. Complain as I may...it is part of me and I don't think I will ever change that.

Thanks for listening to me complain.:)

Pinterest:
 
We will be these parents. No doubt.


1 comment:

  1. I feel it. And I think its a Catholic thing. I have not found a church that I have a good vibe about since moving out here. I have toyed with the possibility of exploring other denominations, but in the end I never do because I am Catholic. While I am not surprised about the announcement welcoming you and Thane until after an offering, I am surprised that they are adding to the planning for Parker's baptism. We had Cait baptized at my my old church in PA and nothing was said at all about us joining that church nor did I have to provide anything saying that I was a member of a church out here. And I can't remember if I joined the church here as a member before or after the boys were baptized there. Although now that I think about it, I don't think anything was ever put in the bulletin related to their baptism. Then again, I refuse to use the envelopes for my offerings.

    ReplyDelete