Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Blame it on the Rain

The storm last night. 

It was a good one. 

I used to love sleeping while it was raining. The sound of the rain was relaxing..especially on a Sunday morning when I was going to sleep in. 

A loud clap of thunder would wake me up at let's say...7 and I would get to roll back over and fall asleep to the sound of the rain. Maybe snuggle in with Thane and call it good til 10am. The perfect Sunday.

Then we had kids. 

Now a storm at night is nice to fall asleep to...but I lay there wondering if one of the kids will wake up screaming. 

Last night went like this. 

Me passed the F out..because that is how I sleep now. Hard. Yet any little sound usually wakes me up. 

and all of a sudden....BOOM!!!!! Downpour.

My eyes fly open and I lay really still to listen to see if anyone is crying. I thought I heard Jensen so I lay awake listening as hard as I could. 

He is on the top bunk so if he wakes up and wants to get down..he can't. I guess the other night he had a nightmare and was crying out for me. I say "I guess" because I am Mom of the Year and didn't wake up to it. So I think that guilt played a factor in how often I was up last night listening for anyone to wake up terrified. 

Once I was sure no one was awake and scared I drifted off to sleep only to be woke up by another BOOM and more pouring rain. 

Now I laid there trying to figure out how we will fit two kids and Bernie in our Queen sized bed. Parker alone is too much but now what if Jensen needs to come in? Maybe someone could use Bernie as a pillow...

I feel back asleep without a solution to that one. 

The last time I woke up I laid there doing a mental checklist of all the shit we have outside. (Hi..those neighbors here. Nice to meet you!) Racking my brain to make sure all the important stuff was inside. It went something like this:

Battery operated corvette...ya Thane said they pulled it in and I didn't see it when I came home. Not getting up. 

Garage door...down. According to Thane. If it wasn't I could bitch at him in the morning when all the garage sale stuff was wet. Not getting up. 

Water table on the deck. Well Pam..it's a water table. It's ok to be out in the rain..but shit the lid. I had the lid laying on the deck full of water for Camden to splash in. Ehh...if it blows away it will just end up against the deck railing. Not getting up. 

Kitchen window closed? What if I didn't close it and Alexa gets wet!? How will we set the bedtime timers? How will we find out the weather?! How will we play Eric Church Pandora Radio when I need a mental break?! Oh wait..ya no. It's closed. 

Rugs I cleaned yesterday and laid out on the deck to dry. Well shit. 

Those were out there still. 

I laid there wondering if they had already blown away. I finally decided that they would be too water logged to go anywhere. Then I got pissed that I'm going to have to wash them again. Unless they did blow away...I almost got up.

Then I decided no. I'll just buy a new damn rug for the bathroom because gray was boring anyways. And we don't use the one in front of the toilet anymore because with two little boys...its a really gross idea. So who cares if that one is gone?

Then I realized that no..I can't buy a new one. If we ever want to build a house I can't keep buying shit we don't need like a $14 rug from Target. ....Unless they are on sale next week or on CartWheel. Then it's meant to be. 

I almost got up and then nope. I decided if both of the rugs had been taken in the storm we will just use a towel to step on when we get out of the shower so no one dies. The new rug can come when we redo the bathroom.

I know you're all dying to know by now...both rugs made it through the storm. Yet...as concerned as I was about them last night...

they are still on the deck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment